Thursday, April 11, 2013

The problem with exercise

Misleading title, I'll admit.

There are no problems with exercise. I love exercise. I need exercise. Without exercise, I am depressed, lethargic, lazy, agitated, fill-in-the-blank-with-other-negative-adjectives. I have given up other hobbies to dedicate more time to exercise. I have spend a lot of money on exercise and exercise-related items.

HOWEVER, exercise does not necessarily go hand-in-hand with healthy eating for me.

For instance, I ate relatively little last night for dinner and went running this morning. My leftovers were running low, so I had a very small lunch. at 2:00 pm, I ate my pre-workout banana because I was FAMISHED and guess what? 55 minutes later, I am still famished, and I still have to work out after work. And not just some jaunt on the exerbike while I watch Ellen. Three miles of sprint/recovers.

When I leave the gym, my hunger will be growing and when I get home, I will be starving. When I am starving and still have to cook dinner, I want to pick and prod at various foods in my cupboard. I often pick and prod so much that by the time dinner rolls around, I am no longer hungry, but I'm incredibly depressed that I got off my eating game by picking at things like raisins and cooked meat.

I am visualizing tonight right now: I am going to get home and I am going to pour myself a relaxing glass of wine. I will cook the salmon and roast the veggies while leisurely sipping said red wine. I will set the table and put on some relaxing music and, while Maggie plays and helps and shouts, I will think about how delicious my home-cooked meal is going to be, how much I need a fantastic and healthy meal of fish and seasonal vegetables, how grateful I am for my delicious glass of Fleur Pinot Noir, and how deserving I am of a healthy and happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment